Be Thankful for the NJ ANCHOR Property Tax Rebate
New Jersey recently launched the ANCHOR program to help homeowners and renters save on property taxes. It is an expansion of the Homestead Benefit Program. ANCHOR stands for Affordable NJ Communities for Homeowners and Renters. The current year ANCHOR program covers 2019.
Who is eligible for the 2019 Anchor program?
- Homeowners with income of $150,000 or less will receive $1,500
- Homeowners with income over $150,000 and up to $250,000 will receive $1,000
- Renters with income of $150,000 or less will receive $450
You are considered a homeowner if you owned a house or condominium on Oct. 1, 2019 and paid property taxes. You are a renter if on Oct. 1, 2019 you rented an apartment, condominium or house.
How do I apply?
Homeowners need an ANCHOR ID and PIN to apply online on the NJ Division of Taxation website or by phone at 877-658-2972. Informational mailers with the ID and PIN numbers were sent the first week of Oct. 2022. If you didn’t receive the form, call the ANCHOR hotline at 888-238-1233. If you applied for the Homestead Rebate last year, you can get your ID and PIN online at ANCHOR ID and PIN .
Tenants can and should apply online at Tenant Online Filing. Tenants do not have an ID and PIN.
Owned a home in 2019 but recently moved?
If you did not receive a mailer, access the online ID and PIN Inquiry System to retrieve your ID and PIN. Or call the ANCHOR hotline.
Some homeowners must file paper ANCHOR applications. They include:
- You shared ownership of your home with someone who was not your spouse
- You are a widow(er) and the deed lists both your name and the name of the deceased spouse
- You are the executor filing on behalf of a deceased homeowner
- You are filing for property held in trust
- You are divorced- you should report your percentage of ownership
When will I receive the ANCHOR payment?
Payments will be sent out in late Spring 2023. ANCHOR payments will be paid in the form of a direct deposit or check, not as a credit to your property tax bill.
When is the ANCHOR application deadline?
The initial deadline was December 30, 2022. The new extended deadline is Feb. 28, 2023!
Eligible homeowners and tenants should file as soon as possible to anchor in their 2019 rebate. You’ll be happy when the rebate floats into your bank account in the Spring of 2023.